Sunday, October 19, 2014

NaNoWriMo 2014 - waiting with antici...


So NaNoWriMo is next month. In fact, it starts 2 weeks today.
I have this really cool idea for it. But I feel like I’m not allowed to write about it. This seems ludicrous because, well, last year I finished a manuscript I had set aside. But this year I feel like I would be cheating if I started 14 days out.

So I don’t know what to do. I should just go ahead and start and then continue the project over the course of the 30 days.
But then again, I kinda like the anticipation of waiting to write something special. I like the feeling of anticipation overall. I just worry that once the starting pistol goes off I won’t be able to write a word. Or a coherent sentence.

And even though I’ve been writing every day, by hand, in a book, because I haven’t sat down at a computer, I feel like I haven’t written in ages. It was an effort to type this blog, and it’s going to be very short. I just wanted to hear the sound of the clacking keys again. It comforts me. Makes me feel like I might even know what I’m doing.
But I am still stuck with my idea. I have never plotted a story before. I’ve thought about where I want things to go and I’ve gone to sleep dreaming of ideas and where I want my stories to end up. But I’ve never not written it down before on purpose. I’ve procrastinated with ideas because I like to see where the dreams of the stories end up. But as for not sitting down to start because of a deadline? This would be the first time this has happened.

In NaNoWriMo 2012, I had an idea that I had been thinking about for weeks and had tried to imagine in my mind for weeks before I started. That novel is still sitting on my hard drive and I wasn’t happy with it.
I don’t want to be disappointed with this idea. But I’m not spending weeks dwelling this time. Just three weeks.

I might love anticipation but I really don’t have the patience for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment